Monday 21 October 2013

Your chance to be involved in your local police service

Cumbria Constabulary are continuing to look for volunteers to join our team.

On 15th April 2013 Cumbria Constabulary re-invigorated its volunteer scheme. Since that date, numerous new volunteers have stepped forward into a variety of newly created roles. 

They are a welcome addition to the team, providing essential support to staff and officers in conjunction with our existing volunteers.

Currently, there are 21 volunteers. Five of whom give their time as Community Speedwatch Administrative Assistants.

Michael Roberts, who currently volunteers at Kendal, said: “I retired from a communications role 10 years ago. I used to be a Special Constable within Cumbria Constabulary, a role I found very fulfilling.  Since I retired from that three years ago, I have been keen to continue to offer my support and time to my local police force.

“Cumbria has a very strong community ethic, especially in rural areas like where I live.  I think it is important to contribute something actively to your local community rather than be a passive bystander expecting others to so everything for you!”

Jacqueline Sumner, who volunteers at Ulverston, said: “I volunteer because I was looking to do something else, in addition to the work I do with Save the Children.  I have always wanted to do something in the police so this seemed like a good opportunity.

“I really enjoy volunteering.  If I wasn’t doing this, I would just be at home.  I believe anyone who is not fulfilled with what they are currently doing could find that through volunteering. It’s a great way of using your skills, developing yourself and making a contribution to your local community.

“The police officers, PCSO’s and staff at Ulverston are all lovely; they make me feel welcome, involved and valued.”

Carol Rushton, who volunteers at Workington said: “I was made redundant two years ago and decided to volunteer for Cumbria Police, in order to get back into the working environment and to become involved in local issues.

“By volunteering, I hope to support local communities, as well as police officers and staff in the running of Speedwatch schemes in Cumbria and to make a difference locally.

“I have been made to feel welcome from the start and my time valued.  My hours are flexible, so I can work to suit my lifestyle and put my skills to good use. Volunteering is a good opportunity to get involved in local issues and to meet new people.”
All three added about their role: “We help set up Speed Watch schemes in local areas, an issue which is important to people for the safety of their local community.

“Local people feel very strongly about speeding drivers, so this is an ideal opportunity to address these concerns by being the link between the Parish Councils, their community volunteers and the Constabulary.”

There are currently two new volunteer roles that people are able to apply for, a Support Group coordinator and a Safe Place coordinator.

The aim of the Support Group role is to provide an administrative and organisational service to a number of internal support groups / partner agencies, to help organise multi-agency events and support members.

In relation to the Safe Place coordinator, they will help to identify and set up “Safe Places” within the community for vulnerable members of society.  The volunteer will also promote the scheme, along with the identified “Safe Place” premises and maintain the workability of the group.

Sergeant Paul Mellard said: “In Kendal we currently have three Police service volunteers. They are all valuable additions to the policing family and they are already helping to improve how we engage with members of the various watch schemes in the Neighbourhood Policing Team area. We are also in the early stages of forming Speed Watch groups and our volunteers are instrumental in this.”

Shirley Murray, the Volunteers Coordinator, said: “This is a great opportunity for members of the community to support their local police service to continue to deliver an excellent policing service.

“We are looking for individuals who are enthusiastic, willing to work with police officers , police community support officers, our police staff and our partner agencies for the benefit of the community.

“These are fantastic opportunities for a number of people, someone who is looking to develop them self, has a skill set we can make use of or someone who wants to fill some spare time.”

Anyone who is interested in applying to become a police support volunteer can visit Cumbria Police website http://www.cumbria.police.uk/join-us/community-volunteers-scheme/current-volunteer-vacancies

If you are interested in setting up a Speed Watch in your local area please email communityspeedwatch@cumbria.police.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment