Monday 19 November 2012

Cumbria’s new Police and Crime Commissioner

Cumbria has its first Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) – Richard Rhodes.

The new PCC will be responsible for:
·        Meeting the public regularly to listen to their views on policing
·        Producing a police and crime plan setting out local policing priorities
·        Deciding how the budget will be spent
·        Appointing the Chief Constable and dismissing them if required

Cumbria’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Richard Rhodes said “I am delighted to be elected the first Police and Crime Commissioner for Cumbria.

“It is a real honour and privilege that the people of Cumbria have chosen me to represent their views in the future of policing in the county. I would like to thank everyone that has supported me through my campaign and all the people that have trusted me with their vote. Thank you.

“I have campaigned hard on the following key areas:
·        Establish an office of public engagement
·        Establish an office of victim support
·        Promote restorative justice
·        Promote a pan-Cumbria Vision
·        Establish an executive committee

Enforcement is the principal element in reducing crime but it isn’t the only one. Using my extensive experience of the criminal justice system, I will develop a range of interventions to support victims, reduce re-offending and ensure public safety to reinforce the activities of a high achieving Constabulary in Cumbria.”

“I look forward to getting out and about over the coming months to meet the people of Cumbria as you will play a vital role in influencing the future policing priorities and building on the many views that people kindly shared whilst I was campaigning.

“Having worked with the police in a number of partnerships I truly respect the hard work and dedication of our officers and staff and will value being able to work with them to make a better Cumbria. 

“Cumbria is very fortunate to have a high performing Constabulary and as Commissioner I will be looking to maintain and improve performance and ensure good value for money despite the challenging financial pressures.

“I look forward to working for the people of Cumbria and making the county an even better place to live.”

No comments:

Post a Comment